|Relocation: Do It Right
|Six Weeks Before Moving
- Start a "Moving" file.
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved.
- Collect everything not to be moved for a garage sale or charitable pickup.
- Work with your new group or hospital to select a mover.
- Contact insurance agent to transfer/cancel insurance coverage.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce or visitor's bureau to get information on your new community.
- Obtain a mail subscription to the newspaper of your new community to begin familiarization.
- Start getting excited.
|Four Weeks Before Moving
- Notify all magazines of change of address.
- Check with veterinarian for pet records and immunizations.
- Contact utility companies for refund of deposit and set up a turn-off date. Keep utilities on through moving day.
- Keep utilities on through moving day.
- Contact realtor in new community for utility contact information and set up turn-on dates.
- Collect anything you've loaned out!
- Return anything you've borrowed!
- Service power mowers, boats, snowmobiles, etc. that are to be moved in the moving van and empty of gas and oil (fire hazard in van).
- Contact schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants and obtain copies of your records.
- Make arrangements to discontinue newspaper, garbage collection and lawn/pool service.
- Start to use up the food in your freezer.
|One Week Before Moving
- Transfer or close checking and saving accounts. Arrange for cash or money order to pay the moving company on arrival in new community.
- Empty your safety deposit box.
- Put all valuables and irreplaceables (photos, videos, important documents) in a suitcase to carry with you. Do not put these on the van.
- Return rented videos and library books.
- Pick up dry cleaning.
- If driving, have your car serviced for the trip.
- Fill out change of address form with your local Post Office.
- Inventory your furniture for dents and scratches and provide to movers before and after move.
- Pack a separate carton for cleaning materials and tools.
- Separate cartons and luggage for the trip.
- Organize at least one room in the house for packers and movers to get about freely
- Cancel newspaper, garden service, snow removal service, etc.
- Drain garden hoses.
- Check and double check your list!
|Two Days Before Moving
- Defrost freezer and clean out refrigerator.
- Have major appliances disconnected and prepared for the move.
- Set aside the things you're taking with you so they won't get loaded in the van.
- Confirm with moving company arrival date and time of the van.
- Pack a box of basics for move-in day --- tools, paper, TP, cleaners, camera.
- Plan to spend the entire day at your house. There will be last minute decisions to be made.
- Don't leave until after the movers have gone.
- Have some bottled water and a few snacks on hand.
- Hire a sitter or send the kids to a neighbor's for the day.
- Contain your pets some place safe so they won't run off.
- Stay with the moving van driver to oversee inventory.
- Tell packers and /or driver about fragile or precious items.
- Make a final check of the house --- all rooms, closets, cupboards, garage, yard, tool shed.
- Be sure van driver has the proper destination address. Verify delivery date.
- Exchange cell phone numbers with the van driver.
- Get routing information from the driver.
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, water, electric).
- Disconnect all utilities and advise the realtor who sold your house.
- Take your luggage and suitcase of valuables with you as you walk out the door.
- Take the bill of lading and inventory from the movers with you.
- Leave house and mailbox keys on the kitchen counter.
- Lock the doors and windows behind you and advise realtor and neighbors that house is empty.
- Spend the night somewhere local for a good rest before leaving town.
Return to Candidate Resources
| Relocation Help